Thursday, April 5, 2012

Welcome Home Troops!



Welcoming home our troops- March 22, 2012






On March 22, I welcomed home 349 U.S. soldiers at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport with Miss University City's Outstanding Teen, Kennedy. Lining the walls of the welcome hall just outside of customs were various posters tediously crafted by elementary students. Families anxiously awaited the return of their loved ones and volunteers were ready to help the weary soldiers with their heavy bags. When the first soldier walked through those double doors a round of applause echoed all around us. As I reached out to shake his hand I offered thanks for his service and a welcoming embrace. His eyes looked full of faith and his smile brought comfort to the crowd. He was happy to be home.






As the soldiers continued to come, some were thankful and excited for the generous welcome group, but some seemed upset by the fanfare. Thats when the effect of war really hit me. Even though I've spent years of my life studying, reading, and watching what the brutalities of war can do to a person, never before had I experienced it first hand. I hope that I will never have to bear the scars that some of these soldiers carry. Even though they may not consider themselves heroes, each and every one of them is a hero to me.






Because of these valiant men and women we live in a free country. Thank you.






No comments:

Post a Comment