Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First Pitch!

When I found out I had been asked to throw the first pitch at the Frederick Keys game I had flashbacks to playing softball in the backyard with my grandad...in elementary school.  Needless to say, I recruited all the men in my family to refresh my memory and sharpen up my nonexistent baseball skills.  Throwing a pitch is actually quite formulated and my lack of upper body strength became apparent as I limply threw the ball across the backyard.  But, with a little practice I perfected my pitch and prayed it would make it to the plate on the big day.

As they announced my name and title to the entire stadium, I walked down the red carpet in my most comfortable baseball shoes, Express gladiator sandals.  I took my stance on the mound and in the midst of my excitement forgot everything and hurled the ball as best as I could to the catcher.  I am not sure if I impressed or fulfilled expectations of a pageant queen throwing out a first pitch, but it made it to the catcher and I walked away happy.

From the stands my 2 cousins, my aunt, uncle, grandfather, and boyfriend all smiled and waved.  I knew that they were proud of my athleticism (sarcasm) on the field, but nonetheless were glad they were there to witness it.  The rest of the night was spent making new friends, cheering on the Keys, and enjoying a Friday night on the infield!

No comments:

Post a Comment